News Section: Fishing
Captain Favorite's Weekend Fishing Forecast: March 27, 2013
Your One-Stop Spot for Fishing in Manatee County
BRADENTON – For-hire captains and crew can retain recreational bag limits of vermilion snapper, groupers and golden tilefish in state waters of the Atlantic. Weather Underground is reporting possible small craft warnings due to a cold front moving across the waters over the weekend. The pressure gradient will remain relaxed with benign winds and seas.
- The spiny lobster recreational and commercial season closes to harvest in state and federal waters starting April 1 and will reopen Aug. 6. The two-day recreational sport season is the last consecutive Wednesday and Thursday of July, which is July 30 and 31 this year.
- During spring and summer on Florida beaches, shorebirds build nests out of sand and shells and hatch chicks that can barely be seen. So well-camouflaged are the nests, eggs and chicks of shorebirds like the snowy plover that they can easily be stepped on or missed unless people know to watch out for them.
- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is reminding beachgoers to be on the lookout and avoid disturbing bird nurseries on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of Florida. Among the state’s beach-nesting shorebirds facing conservation challenges are the snowy plover, least tern, black skimmer, American oystercatcher and Wilson’s plover.
- For-hire captain and crew can retain recreational bag limits of vermilion snapper, groupers and golden tilefish in state waters of the Atlantic (including all of Monroe County for grouper species and golden tilefish) starting March 13. This change means that for-hire captain and crew will be able to retain recreational bag limits of all species of reef fish caught in Atlantic state waters.
- This change will make state regulations consistent with Atlantic federal regulations.
- Similar changes to federal rules became effective Jan. 27. The federal rule was modified because it was not effectively limiting harvest of vermilion snapper and gag grouper as originally intended and it was causing confusion because captain and crew of for-hire vessels could keep recreational bag limits of some snapper and grouper species, but not others. Additional harvest of these species by captain and crew is expected to be negligible and not negatively impact fish stocks.
- To learn more about this change made at the FWC’s February Commission meeting, visit MyFWC.com/Commission and click on “Commission Meetings.” To learn more about snapper and grouper recreational regulations, visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on “Saltwater Fishing,” “Recreational Regulations” and “Overview” under the “Reef Fish” header.
Weekend Fishing Forcast
Winds and seas will gradually subside tonight...but exercise caution conditions will remain over portions of the outer waters. Winds will veer southeast Thursday ahead of the next approaching frontal system which will move over the waters during the weekend with an increasing chance of showers and thunderstorms..
Southeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Thursday night will bring southeast winds 5 to 10 knots increasing to around 15 knots after midnight. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. A slight chance of showers after midnight.
2014/03/27 Thu 05:48 AM -0.16 L
2014/03/27 Thu 12:02 PM 1.49 H
2014/03/27 Thu 05:38 PM 0.69 L
2014/03/27 Thu 11:16 PM 1.94 H
Southeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. A chance of thunderstorms. Showers likely in the afternoon. Friday night
will bring southeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Showers likely and a slight chance of thunderstorms.
2014/03/28 Fri 6:29 a.m. -0.05 L
2014/03/28 Fri 12:24 p.m. 1.62 H
2014/03/28 Fri 6:33 p.m. 0.42 L
Southwest winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Showers likely and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Saturday night will bring west winds 5 to 10 knots then becoming northwest around 15 knots after midnight. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. A chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms.
2014/03/29 Sat 12:16 a.m. 1.91 H
2014/03/29 Sat 7:04 a.m. 0.11 L
2014/03/29 Sat 12:46 p.m. 1.78 H
2014/03/29 Sat 7:22 p.m. 0.17 L
North winds 10 to 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Sunday night will bring northeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop.
2014/03/30 Sun 1:09 a.m. 1.83 H
2014/03/30 Sun 7:34 a.m. 0.29 L
2014/03/30 Sun 1:08 p.m. 1.93 H
2014/03/30 Sun 8:08 p.m. -0.02 L
Join the conversation post Facebook comments here or on our site at the bottom of article.
In Addition to Facebook Comments You Can Also Post Comments Below
Click here to add a Non-Facebook comment to this page
Sign up for our free news subscription - a great way to stay informed!