News Section: Local Government
Sarasota/Manatee MPO Results: 12/16/2013
SARASOTA -- At Monday's MPO meeting, members voted to approve amendments to the Transportation Improvement Program, and to amend the Long Range Transportation Plan. In other business, members voted to approve the drafted Bicycles, Pedestrian and Trails Master Plan, placing it on the 2035 LRTP, rather than the 2040 plan.
I. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
(Items not on the agenda)
II. CAC/TAC/BPTAC CHAIR'S REPORT
The Chairs of the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC), Ken Maturo, Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), Sage Kamiya, and Bicycle/Pedestrian/Trails Advisory Committee (BPTAC), Paula Wiggins, will update the MPO on those committees’ activities and provide the MPO Board an opportunity to direct questions. -- Both the CAC and the TAC voted to recommend the Bicycle, Pedestrian and Trails/Complete Streets, at their meetings last month.
III. FDOT REPORT
FDOT will provide the MPO with an update on activities and issues and provide the MPO Board members an opportunity to direct questions. Hattaway says that it has been a success getting "Complete Streets" in all of the seven districts.
IV. MPO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
The MPO Executive Director, Michael Howe, will update the Board Members on activities and issues.
V. CHAIR’S REPORT
The MPO Chair, Sarasota Commissioner Nora Patterson, will update the Board Members on activities and issues. -- No report
VI. ELECTION OF 2014 OFFICERS AND APPOINTMENTS
1. Election of Chair from Manatee County, Inclusive of Municipalities within Manatee County -- Larry Bustle -- Approved Unanimous
2. Election of Vice Chair from Sarasota County, Inclusive of Municipalities within Sarasota County -- Shannon Snyder -- Approved Unanimous
3. Appointment of Metropolitan Planning Organization Advisory Council (MPOAC) and Chairs Coordinating Committee of Central Florida (CCC) Representatives of MPO -- Jim Bennett -- Approved, Unanimous
VII. CONSENT SECTION All matters listed under the Consent Section are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired by an MPO Board member, that item will be removed from the Consent Section and will be considered at the end of the section.
1. Approval of Meeting Minutes
Staff will seek a motion to approve the October 28, 2013 Meeting Minutes of the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Board meeting. -- (Pulled to be voted on at the January meeting).
2. Manatee County Transportation Disadvantaged (MTD) Local Coordinating Board (LCB) Appointment
Staff will seek a motion to approve the appointment of Mr. Paul Welch as the Representative for the Disabled on the Manatee County Transportation Disadvantaged LCB.
3. Sarasota County Transportation Disadvantaged (MTD) Local Coordinating Board (LCB) Appointment
Staff will seek a motion to approve the appointment of Mr. Jeremy Whatmough as the Citizen Advocate Representative on the Sarasota County Transportation Disadvantaged LCB.
Consent Agenda -- (items #2 and #3) -- Approved, Unanimous
VIII. ADVERTISED PUBLIC HEARING
Please note that the following public hearing items were scheduled for 10:00 a.m. or reasonably thereafter and have been advertised accordingly.
1. Amendments to the FY 2013/2014 – 2017/2018 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
Staff will present TIP Amendments as requested by FDOT. -- Approved, 14 to 0, -- Younger and Rynerson absent. The 8' Sidewalk on east side of S.R. 64 was included, and the 15th Street extension was deleted until the Right-of-Way is evaluated by DOT).
2. Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) Amendment -- FDOT is requesting to amend the LRTP to extend the limits of the 15th Street Project Development and Environment (PD&E) Northward to US 41 (along old US 301). -- Approved Unanimously to defer until the January meeting.
IX. BOARD ACTION
1. FDOT’s Five Year Tentative Work Program FDOT will present the Tentative Work Program covering Fiscal Years 2014/2015-2018/2019. -- Approved, Unanimous, (Deletion of the Hanson and U.S. 41 intersection).
2. Presentation of Draft Bicycle, Pedestrian and Trails Master Plan The proposed Bicycle, Pedestrian and Trails Master Plan will be presented. -- Recommendation to replace the 2040 date of the LRTP with 2035 -- Approved, Unanimous. (Full Story)
3. Park and Ride Study Revisions to the proposed Regional Park and Ride Implementation plan will be presented. -- Approved, Unanimous. (Yates reminded the members to be careful to what role school property will play. Safety for the kids was Yates's concern.
X. REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (May Require Board Action)
There are no reports or presentations scheduled.
XI. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) -- Benac, said the Port connector review stalled because TIP's numbers weren't high enough. Benac wants to push the I-75 and University Parkway request up into the priority list.
2. TBARTA Task-force Meeting -- SCAT is going to extend it route to the new mall at Benderson Park; and between Lakewood Ranch and the airport.
XII. MEMBER COMMENTS -- Bustle made a motion to have the board send a formal request to prioritize the I-75 and University Parkway project. -- Approved, 15 to 0, Younger absent.
XIII. NEXT MEETING DATE: A joint meeting with the Charlotte County-Punta Gorda MPO on will be held January 27, 2014 at the Venice Community Center, 326 Nokomis Avenue South, Venice Florida.
Join the conversation post Facebook comments here or on our site at the bottom of article.
In Addition to Facebook Comments You Can Also Post Comments Below
Click here to add a Non-Facebook comment to this page
Sign up for a free email subscription and get The Bradenton Times' Thursday Weekly Recap and Sunday Edition delivered to your email box each week at no cost.
Sign up for our free news subscription - a great way to stay informed!