News Section: Fishing
Captain Favorite's Weekend Fishing Forecast: August 22, 2013
Your One-Stop Spot for Fishing in Manatee County
BRADENTON – Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration researchers are asking anglers to help them gather information about the important Atlantic red snapper fishery. The fifth annual Spartan Fishing Tournament is Aug. 24, then the Tampa Boat Show is coming on September 6-8. If you can dodge the afternoon thunderstorms, you can still target tarpon are also a good option around bridges at night and juveniles in creeks, canals and basins. Beat the heat by catch and release snook fishing before daylight in the ICW and then look for trout, blues, Spanish mackerel, tripletail and more in Sarasota Bay.
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) researchers are asking anglers to help them gather information about the important Atlantic red snapper fishery. The recreational red snapper season is open Aug. 23 through Aug. 25 (a Friday through Sunday) in south Atlantic federal waters.
- FWC researchers and volunteers will be out along Florida’s east coast during each day of the season, asking recreational fishers about their red snapper trips and their catch. Researchers will also collect biological samples of harvested fish, which will not affect the fillet, to help determine the age of each red snapper.
- Biologists sampled more than 2,000 red snapper during the federal opening in 2012 as a result of these efforts.
- Anglers’ survey responses and biological samples will give researchers valuable data about the red snapper fishery. Fisheries scientists could use this information in future population assessments.
- This year’s Progressive Insurance Tampa Boat Show, the region’s premier boat show, makes a splash September 6-8, showcasing the best of boating with hundreds of new vessels to shop, plus the latest marine accessories and aquatic attractions for all ages.
- According to show manager Larry Berryman, the 48th annual event is a three-day boating extravaganza featuring activities for anyone interested in the boating lifestyle. “From fishermen to divers and novice boaters to experienced captains, the Progressive Insurance Tampa Boat Show has a wide range of activities to entertain and educate people of all ages and experience levels, including on-the-water training, a chance to SCUBA, dozens of boating and fishing seminars, and much more.”
- Tampa Boat Show will be held at the Tampa Convention Center Sept 6-8
Fifth Annual Spartan Fishing Tournament Aug. 24, 2013 in Islamorada
- This is a multi-species, inshore and offshore boat tournament, hosted at La Siesta Resort and Marina. The format allows anglers to register as an individual or as a team on either a local professionally guided boat or private boat. Awards are given in both divisions based on total points for caught fish. Registration includes captains meeting, breakfast at the dock before fishing, goodie bag, fishing in the tournament, BBQ and awards after fishing. There is also a raffle during the BBQ!
- Contact: Scott Giberson, email@example.com, 305-389-9752, for more information.
|To create a forecast specific to
your zip code visit
A ridge of high pressure from the Atlantic will remain north of the waters through the week keeping an east to southeast flow across the waters.
East winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Isolated thunderstorms in the late morning...then numerous thunderstorms in the afternoon. Thursday night will bring east winds 10 to 15 knots diminishing to around 10 knots after midnight. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop becoming a light chop after midnight. Scattered thunderstorms in the evening.
2013/08/22 Thu 02:16 a.m. 1.91 H
2013/08/22 Thu 08:20 a.m. 0.76 L
2013/08/22 Thu 02:13 p.m. 2.47 H
2013/08/22 Thu 09:11 p.m. 0.56 L
East winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Friday night will bring east winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. A chance of thunderstorms in the evening.
2013/08/23 Fri 02:39 a.m. 2.05 H
2013/08/23 Fri 09:10 a.m. 0.64 L
2013/08/23 Fri 03:01 p.m. 2.26 H
2013/08/23 Fri 09:38 p.m. 0.75 L
East winds around 5 knots becoming northwest 5 to 10 knots in the afternoon. Bay and inland waters smooth. A chance of thunderstorms. Saturday night will bring northeast winds around 5 knots becoming east around 10 knots overnight. Bay and inland waters smooth. A chance of thunderstorms in the evening.
2013/08/24 Sat 03:05 a.m. 2.18 H
2013/08/24 Sat 10:02 a.m. 0.58 L
2013/08/24 Sat 03:50 p.m. 2.05 H
2013/08/24 Sat 10:05 p.m. 0.92 L
East winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. A chance of thunderstorms. Sunday night will bring northeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. A slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening.
2013/08/25 Sun 03:34 a.m. 2.28 H
2013/08/25 Sun 10:56 a.m. 0.56 L
2013/08/25 Sun 04:45 p.m. 1.83 H
2013/08/25 Sun 10:32 p.m. 1.08 L