News Section: Fishing
Captain Favorite's Weekend Fishing Forecast: August 15, 2013
Your One-Stop Spot for Fishing in Manatee County
BRADENTON – Ever wanted to capture one of Florida's wild beasts? The FWC is accepting applications for contracted nuisance alligator trappers in two counties. The fifth annual Spartan Fishing Tournament is Aug. 24, then the Tampa Boat Show is coming on September 6-8. If you can dodge the afternoon thunderstorms, you can still target tarpon are also a good option around bridges at night and juveniles in creeks, canals and basins. Beat the heat by catch and release snook fishing before daylight in the ICW and then look for trout, blues, Spanish mackerel, tripletail and more in Sarasota Bay.
- This year’s Progressive Insurance Tampa Boat Show, the region’s premier boat show, makes a splash September 6-8, showcasing the best of boating with hundreds of new vessels to shop, plus the latest marine accessories and aquatic attractions for all ages.
- According to show manager Larry Berryman, the 48th annual event is a three-day boating extravaganza featuring activities for anyone interested in the boating lifestyle. “From fishermen to divers and novice boaters to experienced captains, the Progressive Insurance Tampa Boat Show has a wide range of activities to entertain and educate people of all ages and experience levels, including on-the-water training, a chance to SCUBA, dozens of boating and fishing seminars, and much more.”
- Tampa Boat Show will be held at the Tampa Convention Center Sept 6-8
- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is accepting applications for contracted nuisance alligator trappers for Bradford and Union counties.
- Applicants must reside in the county for which they are applying; have a valid, working email address; a clean criminal history; and no fish-and-wildlife law violations.
- All applications must be received by Friday, Aug. 30.
- To learn about the requirements for becoming a nuisance alligator trapper or to apply online, please visit the Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program area of MyFWC.com.
- For other alligator information, visit MyFWC.com/Alligator.
Fifth Annual Spartan Fishing Tournament Aug. 24, 2013 in Islamorada
- This is a multi-species, inshore and offshore boat tournament, hosted at La Siesta Resort and Marina. The format allows anglers to register as an individual or as a team on either a local professionally guided boat or private boat. Awards are given in both divisions based on total points for caught fish. Registration includes captains meeting, breakfast at the dock before fishing, goodie bag, fishing in the tournament, BBQ and awards after fishing. There is also a raffle during the BBQ!
- Contact: Scott Giberson, email@example.com, 305-389-9752, for more information.
|To create a forecast specific to
your zip code visit
High pressure will remain in place across the southeastern states and northern Florida Peninsula through the upcoming weekend. This will keep an east to southeast wind flow across the waters. The afternoon sea breeze will be held at or just off the coast today into the upcoming weekend as the easterly flow increases...with a gusty easterly surge possible each evening. The high will sink south to the Central Peninsula early next week as a frontal boundary moves into the southeastern states with lighter winds expected across the waters.
Southeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Winds higher near scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Thursday night will bring east winds 5 to 10 knots increasing to around 15 knots after midnight. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening.
Southeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Friday night will bring east winds 5 to 10 knots then becoming southeast around 15 knots after midnight. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Scattered thunderstorms in the evening.
Southeast winds 10 to 15 knots then becoming east around 5 knots in the afternoon. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop becoming a light chop in the afternoon. Scattered thunderstorms. Saturday night will bring southeast winds around 10 knots. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening.
East winds around 10 knots then becoming northeast around 5 knots in the afternoon. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Isolated thunderstorms. Sunday night will bring northeast winds around 10 knots then becoming southeast around 5 knots after midnight. Bay and inland waters a light chop.