News Section: Local Government
Sarasota/Manatee MPO Agenda Results: 6/24/2013
BRADENTON -- At Monday's MPO meeting, members approved an amendment to accept a $2.5 million Tiger ll grant for the Transportation Improvement Program for fiscal years 2012/2013-2016/2017, and adopted the MPO's Priority Project List for 2013. There was also a request to push the U.S 41 multimodal corridor forward to an earlier date.
I. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
(Items not on the agenda)
II. CAC/TAC CHAIR'S REPORT
Councilman Jim Bennett City of Venice
1. The Chairs of the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC), Ken Maturo, and Technical Advisory Committee -- Maturo said Jim Lacher retired after 32 years, then said they moved the meeting to the 13th from the 6th because of the pending storm, and added, there wasn't any changes and that the votes were unanimous.
(TAC), Sage Kamiya, will update the MPO on those committees’ activities and provide the MPO Board an opportunity to direct questions. -- Kamiya said there has been an increase in traffic and that all else has remained the same.
III. FDOT REPORT
1. FDOT will provide the MPO with an update on activities and issues and provide the MPO Board members an opportunity to direct questions.
IV. MPO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Executive Director, Michael Howe, will update the Board Members on activities and issues.
V. CHAIR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Chair, Commissioner Nora Patterson, will update the Board Members on activities and issues.
VI. CONSENT SECTION All matters listed under the Consent Section are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired by an MPO Board member, that item will be removed from the Consent Section and will be considered at the end of the section.
1. Approval of Meeting Minutes
Staff will seek a motion to approve the April 22, 2013 Meeting Minutes of the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Board meeting.
2. Transportation Disadvantaged Trust Fund Grant for Fiscal Year (FY) 2013/2014
Staff will seek a motion to adopt Resolution No. 2013-05 authorizing Staff to file a grant application and any related agreement with the Florida Commission for Transportation Disadvantaged (CTD).
3. Annual Joint Certification and Review of the Metropolitan Planning Process of the Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)
Review and annual approval of the MPO’s regional Joint Certification Statement and Review.
Consent -- Approved, Unanimous
VII. ADVERTISED PUBLIC HEARING
Please note that the following public hearing items were scheduled for 10:00 a.m. or reasonably thereafter and have been advertised accordingly.
1. Amendment to the Sarasota/Manatee MPO’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2012/2013-2016/2017 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
Staff will seek a motion for MPO Board approval of the requested amendment.
Please Note: Requires a vote by show of hands. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. Adoption of the FY 2013/2014-2017/2018 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Staff will seek a motion for MPO Board adoption of the FY 2013/2014-2017/2018 TIP. Please Note: Requires a vote by show of hands. -- Approved, Unanimous
VIII. BOARD ACTION
1. Project Priorities
Staff will seek a motion to adopt the 2013 Project Priority Lists for Transportation Alternative (TA), CMS and Major Improvement.-- Members responded to a request recommending to bump forward the U.S 41 multimodal project, saying they would see if any kind of trade-off could be done. Motion to accept the 2013 Priority List -- Approved, Unanimous (full story to follow)
2. Regional Priorities – Transportation Regional Incentive Program (TRIP) and Regional Trails
Review of Transportation Regional Incentive Program (TRIP) and Regional Trails Project Priorities negotiated by the MPO Committee with Polk TPO and Charlotte County-Punta Gorda MPO. -- Approved, Unanimous
IX. REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (May Require Board Action)
1. Transit Latent Demand Study
The MPO’s consultant, Renaissance Planning Group, will provide an update on the study results. -- Project Manager, Nick Lepp, briefly reviewed his presentation. Board voted to accept the presentation as submitted -- Approved, Unanimous
X. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) 2. Public Transportation Task Force -- Commissioner Bustle said he stood in for Commissioner Benac, but he put forth a motion that request a letter be sent out to members before meetings since only four of ten in the committee showed up at the last meeting. -- Approved, Unanimous
XI. MEMBER COMMENTS -- Anna Marina Island Mayor Sue Lynn said the growth has created a traffic congestion problem that has made it difficult to get anywhere on the island. She said that at times traffic is blocked-up as far back as 32 blocks. Lynn said she didn't know what was to be done about it, but that the MPO should give her some ideas.
XII. NEXT MEETING DATE
The next meeting will be held July 22, 2013, at USF’s Selby Auditorium. -- Chairwoman Nora Patterson said she would not be there on that date and that Director Michael Howe will have to appoint a chair for the meeting.
Join the conversation post Facebook comments here or on our site at the bottom of article.
In Addition to Facebook Comments You Can Also Post Comments Below
Click here to add a Non-Facebook comment to this page
Sign up for a free email subscription and get The Bradenton Times' Thursday Weekly Recap and Sunday Edition delivered to your email box each week at no cost.
Sign up for our free news subscription - a great way to stay informed!