News Section: Local Government
Sarasota/Manatee MPO Agenda Results: 3/25/2013
BRADENTON -- At Monday's MPO meeting, PD&E presentations owned the day. The I-75 and University Parkway interchange is leaning toward a "Diverging Diamond Intersection" design, simplifying its four configuration into a two. In Sarasota there are two "Roundabouts" on U.S. 41 from 10th Street to 14th Street, and 12 new pedestrian islands going into the center of U.S. 41, in Bradenton, between S.R. 684 and Cortez Road.
I. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
(Items not on the agenda) -- No comments
II. CAC/TAC CHAIR'S REPORT -- Ken Maturo was absent
III. FDOT REPORT -- District Secretary, Billy Hattaway addressed MPO Director Michael Howe about the request to fund street lighting along S.R. 64 between 50th Street W and 75th Street West. Updates included that there will be new sign structures on I-75 at Moccasin Wallow Rd. and on S.R. 64, between Duette rd. at Wingate and that the Hardee County line will be resurfaced.
IV. MPO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT -- Director Michael Howe said both the Sarasota/Manatee MPO and the Charlotte County/Punta Gorda MPO, voted unanimously to not consolidate the two MPOs. Howe also said that there will be some MPO seating arrangements, to see how many seats are at the table for each government, as to who gets what (a membership proportion plan) to be discussed in April.
Howe did pass out a Metropolitan Planning Organization Advisory Council (MPOAC) Institute card announcing a May 17 - 19, workshop, of which he requested at least one local government official (county or city) volunteer and attend.
Jennifer Stults, from the Department of Transportation said the request by Manatee County Commissioners to go with a Feasibility Study as opposed to the Project Development and Environment (PD&E) study, would have to be determined soon. Stults said she was not sure what the county wanted, but there is a chance to fit a feasibility in front of the PD&E, but if the PD&E is dropped completely, the project may get set back. Stults said scheduling a new PD&E could take until 2020.
V. CHAIR’S REPORT --
VI. CONSENT SECTION
1. Approval of Meeting Minutes -- Staff will seek a motion to approve the January 28, 2013 Meeting Minutes of the Joint Meeting with the Charlotte County-Punta Gorda MPO and the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Board meeting.
2. Appointment/Reappointments to the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC)
3. Sarasota County Area Transit’s Federal Transit Administration Section 5307 Grant Application
Consent Section -- Approved, Unanimous
VII. BOARD ACTION
1. Appointment of Members to TRIP and Regional Trails Negotiating Committee -- Sarasota Commissioner Patterson, North Port Mayor Yates, Manatee Commissioner Benac, and it was assumed Manatee Commissioner Bustle would fill the last seat.
VIII. REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (May Require Board Action)
1. I-75 at University Parkway Diverging Diamond -- The 3.5 mile I-75 Corridor/1.0 mile University Parkway project presentation showed a preference to the "Diverging Diamond Interchange" alternative. (Full Story)
2. US 41 from 10th Street to 14th Street (Sarasota) PD&E Report -- Howe said this was the last PD&E report and needed a vote to go forward. Commissioner Younger said there are needs that far exceed that of the 14th Street project. Total project cost is $7.9 million -- Approved 12 to 1, Longboat Key Commissioner Phill Younger dissenting
3. US 41 from 69th Avenue to Cortez Road (SR 684)/Pedestrian Islands -- Purpose is to make U.S. 41 safer for pedestrians. Islands will be located at 12 different locations from U.S. 41 and 63rd. to Bayshore Gardens. Total cost, $350,000
IX. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Public Transportation Task Force (PTTF)
2. Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) -- Commissioner Benac said she forgot her notes, so Mr. Howe announced that the Chair Coordinate Committee (CCC) is working together with TBARTA with a goal to generate new revenue sources within the state.
X. MEMBER COMMENTS -- Younger, "It was a good season for all of us, but traffic is backed up. FDOT needs to look at the conditions."
XI. NEXT MEETING DATE
The next meeting will be held April 22, 2013, at USF’s Selby Auditorium.
Join the conversation post Facebook comments here or on our site at the bottom of article.
In Addition to Facebook Comments You Can Also Post Comments Below
Click here to add a Non-Facebook comment to this page
Sign up for our free news subscription - a great way to stay informed!