News Section: Local Government
Palmetto City Commission Agenda Results: 3/18/2013
PALMETTO -- At Monday's City Commission meeting, the board approved extending the current moratorium on internet sweepstakes cafes until April 30, 2014. In other business, the board voted to amend the definition of their recreation ordinance, to include a dance studio among other recreations like martial arts. Kojacks Ribs, on U.S. 41 and 17th, will soon return to its original owner and open as a Greek family restaurant.
PROCLAMATION: Water Conservation Month
Accepting: Tara Poulton
Government Affairs Program Manager
Southwest Florida Water Management District
1. CITY COMMISSION AGENDA APPROVAL
Action Request: Motion to approve the March 18, 2013 Agenda --. Approved, Unanimous
Item #3 on regular agenda is removed.
2. CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
A. City Clerk’s Office
1. Minutes: February 18 and March 4, 2013
2. Blalock Walters Legal Bills
3. Resolution 2013-12 Budget Amendment -- Approved, Unanimous
4. Resolution 2013-13 Budget Amendment -- Approved, Unanimous
5. Special Function Permit Spring Classic April 14, 2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
B. Public Works
1. Ward 1 Phase II Budget Proposal -- Approved, 3 to 2, Williams and Varnadore dissent -- not comfortable using funds from reserve fund.
2. FDOT Utility Work Agreement and Master Agreement
Action Request: Motion to approve the March 18, 2013 Consent Agenda. -- for items 2-A, 1 and 2 and B-2, The rest were voted on independently -- Approved, Unanimous
3. RESOLUTION NO. 2013-11 CANDY FLAVORED TOBACCO (J. Freeman)
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, URGING THE FLORIDA LEGISLATURE TO ADOPT STATEWIDE RULES AND REGULATIONS CONTROLLING THE SALE AND MARKETING OF CANDY FLAVORED TOBACCO PRODUCTS; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Action Request: Motion to adopt Resolution No. 2013-11. -- Removed from agenda -- No Vote
4. SECOND PUBLIC HEARING ORDINANCE NO. 2013-03 (L. Lyn)
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, AMENDING THE PALMETTO CODE OF ORDINANCES, ZONING CODE, TO AMEND THE DEFINITION OF RECREATION AND AMUSEMENT SERVICES AND THE SCHEDULE OF PERMITTED AND CONDITIONAL USES; PROVIDING FOR REPEAL OF ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDNG FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Open the public hearing.
Close the public hearing after public comment.
Action Request: After considering the evidence presented and finding the request to be consistent with the City of Palmetto Comprehensive Plan, I move to approve Ordinance 2013-03. -- Current code doesn't include dance. Approval will includes dance, martial arts and other recreation. Previously, conditional use has had to go before the board. -- Approved, Unanimous
5. PUBLIC HEARING ORDINANCE 2013-04 INTERNET AND SWEEPSTAKES GAMING CAFÉ MORATORIUM (M. Barnebey)
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COMMISSION FOR THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, DECLARING A MORATORIUM AS TO THE FILING AND/OR APPLICATION FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF BUSINESSES KNOWN AS INTERNET OR SWEEPSTAKES CAFES AS DEFINED HEREIN; PROVIDING SUSPENSION OF ANY SUCH ZONING, PERMITTING AND LICENSING; PROVIDING THAT SAID MORATORIUM SHALL BE IN EFFECT FOR A DATE ENDING APRIL 30, 2014 OR SHALL TERMINATE ON THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CITY’S ADOPTION OF LAND USE AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS TO REGULATE INTERNET/SWEEEPSTAKES CAFES; PROVIDING FOR LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS, INTENT AND PUPOSE; PROVIDING FOR DEFINITIONS; PROVIDING FOR BOUNDARIES SUBJECT TO THE MORATORIUM; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; PROVIDING FOR THE REPEAL OF LAWS IN CONFLICT; AND PROVIDNG AN EFFECTIVE DATE:
Action Request: Motion to adopt Ordinance No. 2013-04. -- There has been a moratorium in Palmetto on internet cafes since 2012. Currently, there are two internet cafe businesses in Palmetto. This extension provides an extension until 2014. Mayor Bryant suggested legal stays on top of the issue -- Approved, Unanimous. (Full story to follow)
6. 1st. READ ORDINANCE 2013-05 DOWNTOWN CORE DESIGN (M. Barnebey)
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COMMISSION FOR THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, AMENDING CODE OF ORDINANCES, ZONING CODE, TO PROVIDE FOR REVISIONS TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE INTERPRETATION AND PROCEDURES, AMENDING AND CLARIFYING THE DOWNTOWN CORE DESIGN GUIDELINES; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Action Request: Motion to schedule Ordinance No. 2013-05 for a public hearing on April 1, 2013 and April 15, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. or as soon thereafter as same can be heard in these chambers and direct staff to advertise for same. -- suggest with an amendment sign regulations -- Approval, 4 to 1, Varnadore Dissent
7. FEBRUARY CHECK REGISTER (Informational Only)
Recess the City Commission meeting to open the March 18, 2013 CRA Board meeting.
1. CRA BOARD AGENDA APPROVAL
Action Request: Motion to approve the March 18, 2013 CRA Board Agenda. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. CRA CONSENT AGENDA --
A. Minutes: February 18 and March 4, 2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
B. Oil Masters Quik Lube Store Front Grant -- Approved, 4 to 1, Cornwell Dissent
C. Kojak’s Rib House Store Front Grant -- Original owner to open Greek family restaurant --Approved, 4, to 0, Cornwell absent
D. Manatee R.V. Store Front Grant -- Approved, Unanimous
E. BLALOCK Walters Legal Bills -- Approved, Unanimous
F. Ward 1 Phase II Budget Proposal -- Approved, 4 to 1 Williams dissent
G. Resolution 2013-03 Budget Amendment -- Working on conceptual plan to bring to the board. Motion with Caveat to pave Sutton Park -- Approved, Unanimous
Action Request: Motion to approve the March 18, 2013 CRA Consent Agenda -- Approved, each independently
3. DISCUSSION: CRA BOARD CHAIR APPOINTMENT
Review of the CRA Board establishing documents and the appointment of a Chair. -- Vice Mayor (Varnadore) to be the vice-chair of CRA
4. CRA DIRECTOR’S COMMENTS -- Commented on an editorial in the Herald by Hillstrom -- Pushes the idea that Palmetto is a "hometown".
5. PRESIDING OFFICER’S COMMENTS -- Starting on Lincoln Park. Varnadore -- "We need to have further discussion on how the CRA goes forward and I would like a memorandum to do so."
6. CRA BOARD MEMBERS’ COMMENTS - none
7. PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR THE CRA BOARD -- none
Reconvene the City Commission meeting.
8. BASEBALL FIELD UPDATE -- Public Works is working on connecting sewer lines. They should have permit for concession stand this week
9. ASR WELL UPDATE -- Meet with SWFWMD tomorrow (Allen Tusing)
10. DEPARTMENT HEADS’ COMMENTS -- Tusing: Dec 31,2012 has balance of $49,631.36. Mr. Tusing wants to use dollars for other projects.
Freeman: Looking for direction on dollars spent, wants to go to workshop for direction.
11. MAYOR’S REPORT -- HUD says that the city would not be recognized if they adopt a housing authority and could lose out of some HUD dollars.
12. COMMISSIONERS’ COMMENTS --
Davis -- Thanks to Ray D'Aiuto (contracted with public works) for saving us money.
Varnadore -- Asked Tusing if we have a paving schedule yet, he said we'll get. "I want to thank Ray too."
Williams -- Reminder for the record to get a look at spending, to "see where we are."
Click here to add a comment to this page