News Section: Schools and Education
Manatee School Board Agenda Results: Feb. 25, 2013
BRADENTON – At Monday's meeting, the Manatee School Board approved a proposed contract for newly-hired Superintendent Rick Mills, after accepting some proposed revisions by board members David Miner and Robert Gause. The consideration of the contract was the last move in affirming the status of Mills, who will begin overseeing the district in March. In other business, the board was presented with information that pertained to the possible future of Rogers Garden Elementary School, and discussed an eventual school board attorney transition. Dr. Bill Vogel served as Interim Superintendent in place of Dr. Gayler, who was absent from the meeting.
AGENDA AMENDMENTS (5:45 p.m.)
ATTENDANCE (5:45 p.m.)
CALL TO ORDER (5:45 p.m.)
6. Approval of the Orders of the Day - p.13 (passed unanimously)Attachment: Minutes 02-20-13 Special Meeting.pdf
Attachment: Minutes 02-21-13 Special Meeting.pdf
Attachment: Agenda Item-Final Proposed Contract for Rick W. Mills.pdf
Attachment: 2013-02-25 Manatee Co SB 2.pdf
Attachment: Agenda Item - Discussion of School Board Attorney Transition.pdf
STUDENT CELEBRATION (5:48 p.m.)
RECOGNITIONS (5:55 p.m.)
8. Recognition of B.D. Gullett Elementary for Achieving Positive Behavior Support Model School Status â€“ Bronze Level - p.15
9. All State Music Students and Teachers - p.17
REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (6:25 p.m.)
11. Update and Status Regarding Rogers Garden Elementary School - p.19Attachment: 2013-02-25 Manatee Co SB 2.pdf
PUBLIC COMMENTS (6:40 p.m.)
PUBLIC HEARING (6:55 p.m.)
13. Public Hearing for Consideration of Adopting Proposed New Policy 4.7.1, Student Internet Safety - p.21 (Passed unanimously) Assistant Superintendant, District Support Services Scott Martin introduced the hearing. No public discussion took place.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (7:00 p.m.)
14. Approval of Minutes - p.22 (passed unanimously)Attachment: M012813.pdf
CONSENT ITEMS (7:02 p.m.)
Approval of Consent Agenda (passed unanimously)
Purchase(s) Bids $100,000.00 and Under
16. Approval of Renewal (1) on Fire Extinguisher and Kitchen Hood Maintenance, MCSD No. 10-0053-MR - p.2417. Approval of Renewal (1) on Guest Wireless Network, MCSD No. 12-0051-SM - p.25Attachment: 120051t.pdf
Purchase(s) Bids Over $100,000.00
19. Approval of Bid for Fluorescent Lamps, Ballast and Lighting Supplies, MCSD No. 13-0033-MR - p.27Attachment: 130033 BL.pdf
Attachment: 130033 BL Vendor LK.pdf
Attachment: 130033 - Eval Tab post 2.pdf20. Approval of Bid on Paper - Print Shop, MCSD No. 13-0025-BS - p.29Attachment: 130025 tab.pdf
Attachment: 130025 Bidders List.pdf21. Approval of the Use of the Hillsborough County School Board Bid on Classroom Supplies and Equipment Catalog Discounts, MCSD No. 13-0039-BS - p.31Attachment: 130039 Florida Document No.pdf
Contracts and Grants
23. Approval of the New Agreement Between the School Board of Manatee County and Manatee County for Manatee High School Academy Emergency Medical Response Students to Mentor and Shadow with County Employees from the Time of Approval to 12-31-2014 - p.33Attachment: MHS & MC Mentoring & Shadowing Program.pdf24. Approval to Renew the Agreement Between the School Board of Manatee County and Godâ€™s Creatures, Inc., for On-The-Job Training for Exceptional Student Education Students for the School Years 2013-2016 - p.35Attachment: Gods Creatures Animal Health Clinic 2016 2.pdf25. Approval to Accept and Expend the Increase in Allocation and Roll Forward Funds to the Title 1, Part A Education of Disadvantaged Children and Youth Grant for FY 2012 - 2013 - p.37Attachment: Title 1 Basic Roll Forward FY 13.pdf26. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend the Manatee County Childrenâ€™s Services Grant Program in the Amount of $247,000.00 Effective October 2013 through September 2014 - p.3827. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend the Manatee County Government Childrenâ€™s Services Advisory Board Teen Pregnancy Prevention Grant in the Amount of $279,715.00, effective October 1, 2013 through September 30, 2014 - p.40Attachment: Its Your Choice Brochure.pdf28. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend the Title 1 School Improvement Grant 1003 (a) - p.42Attachment: School Improvement FY 13.pdf29. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend the Wells Fargo Homeless Unaccompanied Youth Fund Grant for Project HEART (Homeless Education and Resource Team) for 2012-2013 School Year - p.44
31. Approval of Florida Department of Education - Florida Inventory of School Houses - Certification of Facilities Data - p.47Attachment: 02.25.13 FDOE OEF FISH Certification.pdf32. Approval of Manatee High School - Storm Water System Alterations - Change Order 1 - Final - Cafeteria Serving Line - Agreement Between Owner and Creative Contractors, Inc. - p.48
34. Approval of the Appointments, Change of Assignments, Deceased, Promotions, Reappointments, Reassignments, Recommendations for Professional Service Contracts, Resignations, Retirements, Terminations and Transfers - p.50Attachment: Resume - Curtis Davis.pdf
Attachment: Resume - Brandy Harville.pdf
Attachment: Resume - Wendy Houston.pdf
Attachment: Resume - Dennis Kauffman.pdf
Attachment: Resume - Joanne Larson.pdf
Attachment: Board Material - 02-25-13.pdf
Attachment: Resume - Sylvia A. Carrillo 2012.pdf35. Approval to Reclassify the Position Within the School Management Department from Secretary II to School Bookkeeper - p.51Attachment: Secretary, School II, 070802 - NF.pdf
Attachment: Bookkeeper, School, 070802 - NF.pdf36. Approval to Reimburse Cogent for Fees Incurred for Processing of the Fingerprints Submitted for the Manatee County School District for the Remainder of the 2012-2013 Fiscal Year - p.52
39. Leaves for February 25, 2013 Board Meeting - p.56Attachment: Leaves 02-25-13.pdf
OLD BUSINESS (7:05 p.m.)
40. Approval of Advertising a Notice of Intent to Adopt an Amendment to Policy 2.5, Members of the Board and Residence Requirements, and Setting a Public Hearing on the Proposed Policy at the Board Meeting of March 25, 2013 - p.57 (passed 3-2, with board members Barbara Harvey and Robert Gause dissenting)Attachment: Policy 2.5 - Proposed Revision, 011713.pdf
NEW BUSINESS (Discussion Items Pulled from Consent)
NEW BUSINESS (Non-Consent Items) (7:15 p.m.)
41. Approval to Name Ball Field at Jessie P. Miller Elementary School the Chuck Banks Ball Field - p.59 (passed unanimously)Attachment: Banks Nomination Form.pdf
42. Approval to Name Main Hallway at Jessie P. Miller Elementary School the Barbara A. Harvey Bellway - p.61 (passed unanimously)Attachment: Harvey Nomination Form.pdf
43. Approval of Budget Amendments for December 2012 - p.62 (passed unanimously)Attachment: Budget Amendment Report December 2012.pdf
44. Acceptance of the Year to Date Financial Statements through December 2012 - p.63 (passed unanimously)Attachment: December 2012.pdf
45. Approval of the Final Proposed Contract for Rick W. Mills as the Superintendent of Manatee County Schools (passed unanimously)Attachment: Superintendent Contract Rick W Mills.pdf
Mr. Miner proposed several changes to the contract,the most major of which was changing the language in paragraph 9.1 on page 3: that "the annual salary will be increased by a percent equal to the percent increase in the Federal Consumer Price Index, for the preceding four quarters. Mr Miner said, "the way it presently reads is confusing and almost contradictory. But I think the intent is that the annual salary increase would be the same as the increase in the prior four quarters as reflected in the federal CPI."
Mrs. Harvey responded: "I'm not saying that we can or cannot do that, but think about what happens at a time when the Federal CPI goes up, but we don't give the teachers a raise; are we still going to give the superintendent that percentage?"
Mr. Miner replied not by agreeing or disagreeing, saying, "If you want to talk in terms of the substance, ok; I just wanted to clarify the language."
Miner said he would have no objection to "any subsequent motion that ties an increase or decrease to some other standard, but as presently written, (the language I pointed out) is not clear to me."
Miner's motion failed 3-2, with Julie Aranibar, Harvey, and Gause dissenting.
Board member Robert Gause said he agreed with Mr. Miner's concern that the above language was not clear enough, but also suggested that the new superintendent's annual salary be tied to the average salary increase for district employees instead of the CPI, to which Miner opened up to. The suggestion was made a motion after being amended by Dr. Vogel, who advised the board to "take into consideration what Mr. Gause said; (as well as) Mr. Miner's language that said, 'not to exceed the average (pay) increase of the district employees.'" The motion for the revision passed 4-1, with Ms. Aranibar dissenting.
After discussion of various revisions, the finalized contract was passed unanimously.
SCHOOL BOARD WORKFLOW (7:35 p.m.)
SCHOOL BOARD PROPOSED AGENDA ITEMS (7:37 p.m.)
46. Discussion of School Board Executive Sessions for Collective Bargaining - p.64 (discussion moved to future meeting)
Attachment: Florida Statutes.applicable.Collective.Bargaining.Executiv.pdf
Attachment: Miner - Article re Executive Sessions.pdf
BOARD COMMENTS (8:12 p.m.)
SCHOOL BOARD ATTORNEY COMMENTS (8:40 p.m.)
SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT (8:43 p.m.)
ADJOURNMENT (8:45 p.m.)
Adjournment of Meeting
Click here to add a comment to this page