News Section: Schools and Education
Manatee County School Board Regular Meeting Results June 25, 2012
BRADENTON ĖBoard members approved the controversial promotion of Sheryl Riker to director of transportation without discussion despite the concerns of union leaders representing bus drivers, who questioned her experience. A resolution lobbying against high-stakes testing was approved, along with a $100,000 technology upgrade for the districtís network. Both Julie Aranibar and Superintendent Tim McGonegal were absent from Monday nightís meeting.
1. Agenda Amendments - p.6 (Approved 4-0)
2. Attendance - p.7
CALL TO ORDER
3. Call to Order - p.8
4. Pledge of Allegiance - p.9
5. Invocation - p.10
6. Approval of Orders of the Day - p.11 (Approved 4-0)
REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
7. Central Florida School Boards Coalition - p.12
8. Public Comments - p.13
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
9. Approval of Minutes - p.14
Approval of Consent Agenda
10. Approval of June 25, 2012 Consent Agenda - p.15 (Approved 3-0, Gause abstained because of possible conflict of interest)
Purchase(s) Bids $100,000.00 and Under
11. Approval of Bid for Bleacher Repair Services, MCSD No. 12-0075-MR - p.16
12. Approval of Bid for Custodial Equipment and Parts, MCSD No. 12-0076-MR - p.18
13. Approval of Renewal (1) on Environmental Consulting Services, MCSD No. 09-0077-RH - p.20
14. Approval of Renewal (2) on Roofing Repair Services, MCSD No. 11-0009-MR - p.21
15. Approval to Revoke Awarded Bid on Fluorescent Lamps, MCSD No. 10-0024-MR - p.22
Purchase(s) Bids Over $100,000.00
16. Approval of Renewal (2) on Acrylic Coating for Outdoor Sports Surfaces, MCSD No. 09-0010-ML - p.23
Contracts and Grants
17. Approval of the Collaborative Agreement Between Easter Seals Southwest Florida, Inc., a Florida Not-for-Profit Corporation, and The School Board of Manatee County, a Florida Body Corporate, for the Time Period July 1, 2012 and Expiring June 30, 2013- p.24
18. Approval of the Contract Between the School Board of Manatee County and NCS Pearson Inc for the 2012 - 2013 School Year - p.26
Attachment: NCS Pearson FY 13.pdf (Removed)
19. Approval of the New Manatee Technical Institute 2012-2013 Adult Fees Schedule, Effective July 1, 2012 - p.28
20. Approval of the Revision to the Contract with Computer Automated Systems for Medicaid Claiming Services from the Original Amount of $30,000.00 to $32,000.00 - p.30
21. Approval for Renewal of the Transportation Agreement Between the School Board of Manatee County and Chabad Labavitch of Bradenton, Inc. for School Bus Field Trip Transportation Services for the 2012-2013 School Year - p.32
22. Approval for Renewal of the Transportation Agreement Between the School Board of Manatee County and the United Community Centers, Inc. d-b-a 13th Ave Community Center for School bus Field Trip Transportation Services for the 2012-2013 School Year - p.33
23. Approval to Renew the State of Florida School Readiness Services Provider Contracts between the School Board of Manatee County and the Early Learning Coalition of Manatee County for the 2012-2013 School Year - p.34
24. Approval to Renew the State of Florida Voluntary Prekindergarten Education Program Provider Agreement Between the School Board of Manatee County and the Early Learning Coalition of Manatee County for the 2012-2013 School Year - p.36
25. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend the Grant Application for the Title II Part A: Principal and Teacher Training Grant in the Amount of $1,996,022.00 - p.38
26. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend as Manatee School District will now Serve as the Fiscal Agent for the Severely Emotionally Disturbed Network (SEDNET) Grant for the 2012-2013 School Year Through the End of the Grant Period June 30, 2013
27. Approval of Educational Plant Survey - 2012 - p.39
28. Approval of the Appointments, Change of Assignments, Deceased, Promotions, Reappointments, Reassignments, Recommendations for Professional Service Contracts, Resignations, Retirements, Terminations and Transfers - p.40
29. Approval of the Comprehensive Fire Safety Inspection Report for Fiscal Year 2011-2012 - p.41
30. Leaves for June 25, 2012 Board Meeting - p.42
31. Administrative Introductions - p.43
NEW BUSINESS (Discussion Items Pulled from Consent)
NEW BUSINESS (Non-Consent Items)
32. Approval of Budget Amendments for April 2012 - p.44 (Approved 4-0)
- The Superintendent and the Finance Department certified the budget amendments for the month of April 2012 correct.
33. Acceptance of the Year to Date Financial Statements through April 2012 - p.45 (Approved 4-0)
- The reports are in order and are certified as correct by the Superintendent and the Finance Department.
- Officials For Capital Projects Funds expenditures exceed revenues by $8.30 million. The District began receiving Local Tax revenue in December. Restricted fund balance for Capital Projects at April 30, 2012 is $53,865,920.
- Internal Service Funds Revenues exceeded expenditures by $1.70 million. The Health Insurance Fund has a surplus of approximately $2.17 million and the Property and Casualty Insurance Fund is deficient by approximately $473,639. The majority of revenue for the Property and Casualty Fund is transferred during the second half of the fiscal year.
34. Approval of Resolution to Enter into a Section 1011.13, Florida Statutes Loan - p.46 (Approved 4-0)
- Each year the District has to borrow money from other funds to cover expenditures until the first property tax distribution is made, usually during the last week of November or the first week of December. The District has issued tax anticipation notes for the last six years to help during this period.
- Staff prepared the requisite documentation required to complete this transaction in an amount not to exceed $50,000,000 with the districtís repayment scheduled on or before May 1, 2013.
35. Approval to Purchase Property and Liability Insurance - p.47 (Approved 4-0)
- The School District has approximately $1.7 billion of owned property assets. Planning began last January, when the district property insurance broker, developed a strategic plan to obtain the appropriate property and liability insurance coverage. The overall cost for this program for next year is an increase by a million dollars from last year. The Risk Management Department is requesting a not-to-exceed limit of $3,700,000.00 this year and will adjust levels of coverage to stay within this limit.
36. Approval of Renewal (1) on Painting Services, MCSD No. 11-0053-MR - p.49 (Approved 4-0)
- On June 13, 2011, the Board approved the bid on painting services. The contract was reviewed by staff and found it to be satisfactory under the original bid terms and conditions. The district outsources painting in some situations.
- The Superintendent recommended approval of renewal of the bid on painting services for the period of June 24, 2012 through June 23, 2013, in an amount not to exceed $75,000.00.
37. Approval of Renewal (1) on Electrical Services, MCSD No. 11-0054-MR - p.50 (Approved 4-0)
- The estimated cost to implement this agenda item will not exceed $175,000.00. The funding source for this annually estimated expenditure is Local Capital Improvement Millage and is included in the Maintenance and Operations Department proposed 2012-13 budget.
38. Approval of Renewal (1) on Plumbing Services, MCSD No. 11-0056-MR - p.51 (Approved 4-0)
- Motion and approval of renewal of the bid on plumbing services as required, for the period of June 30, 2012 through June 29, 2013, in an amount not to exceed $150,000.00.
39. Approval of Renewal (2) on Locksmith Services, MCSD No. 09-0017-MR - p.52 (Approved 4-0)
- The estimated cost to implement this agenda item will not exceed $50,000.00. The funding source for this annually estimated expenditure is Local Capital Improvement Millage and is included in the Maintenance and Operations proposed 2012-13 budget.
40. Approval of New Job Description and Position for School Accountability Data Specialist (Approved 4-0)
- According to district staff, the restructuring of the former Curriculum and Instruction Division to the Division of Teaching and Learning has revealed need for greater oversight and management of the school accountability process throughout the District.
- No District position is currently responsible for the management and reporting of student data in the context of school accountability.
- The temporary position is grant funded and will effectively replace the position of Online Testing Specialist, which was previously approved by the Board on April 11, 2011 in an agenda item approving seven different positions under the Race to the Top grant. Should the position of School Accountability Data Specialist be approved, the position of Online Testing Specialist will not be filled.
41. Approval of the Resolution Opposing Overemphasis on High-Stakes Testing (Approved 4-0)
- The School Board of Palm Beach County, Florida has asked the School Board of Manatee County, along with other Florida school boards, to join them in opposing an overemphasis on high-stakes testing. The resolution urges Tallahassee and Washington to move toward a common sense, rational system of assessment, and is attached for your review.
42. Approval of the Early Release of $100,000.00 Technology Funding to Upgrade Core Network Switches (Approved 4-0)
- A network assessment was done this past year to evaluate the core infrastructure to explore ways to maximize the effectiveness of the current system.
- Recommendations from that assessment were to upgrade the network core to increase the throughput from 1 gig to 10 gig. This upgrade will provide much faster access to the new student system and better support the needs for online testing.
- This work will require system down time and is therefore best performed in the summer prior to the start of the school year so as to limit interruption of service to our schools. Early access to the capital outlay funds will allow orders to be placed in June for delivery in July.
SCHOOL BOARD WORKFLOW
43. School Board Workflow Items - p.53
SCHOOL BOARD PROPOSED AGENDA ITEMS
44. School Board Proposed Agenda Items - p.54
45. Board Comments - p.55
SCHOOL BOARD ATTORNEY COMMENTS
Click here to add a comment to this page