News Section: Local Government
Manatee County Accepting Apps for CRA Advisory Boards
MANATEE COUNTY – Manatee County has openings on two Community Redevelopment Area advisory committees that make recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners. The advisory boards consist of between five and 15 volunteer members appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Members serve three-year terms. There are a number of vacancies on each board. Vacancies are advertised in June annually.
Community redevelopment areas are designed to attract commercial and building investments in an effort to improve the area, increase the tax base and to encourage public and private improvements.
A CRA Advisory Board is responsible for the following:
· Considering, making recommendations to and amending the redevelopment plan;
· Reviewing the proposed annual work program for the Redevelopment Area;
· Making recommendations concerning Redevelopment Area programs and their implementation, and recommending project priorities to the Agency;
· Recommending incentives to further the redevelopment efforts in the Redevelopment Area and carrying out and effectuating the purposes and provisions of the Redevelopment Act;
· Considering any matters referred to the Advisory Board by the Agency;
· Receiving comments from members of the public interested in redevelopment of the Redevelopment Area and reporting such information to the Agency.
The South County CRA is generally bounded by 53rd Avenue West on the north, Bowlees Creek, west of 15th Street (Old US 301) on the east, 65th Avenue and the U.S. 41 corridor to 69th Avenue West on the south, and the west side of U.S. 41 on the west. The South County CRA advisory board generally meets on the third Tuesday of even-numbered months at 5:30 p.m. at the South County Branch Library, 6081 26th Street West, Bradenton, FL 34207.
The 14th Street West CRA extends from the Bradenton City limits at 26th Avenue West to Cortez Road (north to south) and generally 9th Street West to 18th Street West (east to west). This group generally meets on the fourth Thursday of odd-numbered months at Peace Lutheran Church, 1611 30th Ave. W., Bradenton, starting at 5:30 p.m.
When possible a CRA advisory board should include: property owners and/or residents; merchants and business owners; workforce development; development community (i.e., developers, architects, planners, engineers); human services; arts community; faith/religious community; law enforcement; real estate; Latin/ Hispanic community, and Manatee County School District. Individuals who live, work or own property within the South County CRA or the 14th Street West CRA, and know the area and the issues that impact it will be prioritized. Youth, women and others representative of the diverse CRA neighborhoods are highly encouraged to serve on advisory boards.
|Applications are due June 25 and may be found or filed online at www.mymanatee.org/advisory-boards
For more information, visit the Community Redevelopment Area section of mymanatee.org or call Ivan Groom, Community Redevelopment Area Coordinator, at (941) 749-3029 Ext. 6232 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
Click here to add a comment to this page